Monday, May 31, 2010

Plans and preperations

So I have pretty much much made up my mind to ride to GA on wedensday, its still up in the air, but expect to go. With that knowledge I spent the day prepping the bike and myself for a long ride. Really my preparation is to go through the bike, look at my tools, check all my electronics, and pack my clothes.

The total distance door to door is a hair under 700 miles to Knoxville, and another 100 miles to Blairesville. I can stretch my CBR's gas tank to 180 miles, but I prefer to stop every hour or so to stretch my legs, and every other hour to fill up with gas (usually about every 130 miles) . I am figuring on 6 gas stops and another 6 rest stops.

My luggage consists of a Gears navigator tail bag, a 30liter magnetic tailbag, and a home-made tool container tube. Really, its a good setup, kinda hard to get my leg between the tail and tank bags, but once on the bike they both are great places to rest against when I get tired, and the tankbag leaves enough room to rest my elbow comfortably.

I keep all my toys (ipod, cell, camera) in the tankbag, as well as whatever I need to be easily accessible during the ride, drink, food, wallet, money, as well as directions and other necessary small items. All my electronics run off the cig lighter I have buried in my dash and a spliter I hide in the tankbag.


No comments: